Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sunset over Bagan, Myanmar

The only time I've ever heard of anyone going to Myanmar was on Seinfeld, when J. Peterman exclaimed to Elaine, "I'm in Burma! You may know it as Myanmar, but it'll always be Burma to me." The show was not what prompted me to go to Myanmar. I ended up there on a whim. I happened to be at a bookstore in Bangkok airport and saw the Lonely Planet's guide to Myanmar. I flipped some pages -- it peaked my interest and I was on my way. So when I arrived in Yangon, I had no idea what to expect. The people were so curious, friendly and warm. The food was fantastic as it incorporates Chinese and Indian spices. The culture was like nothing I've ever encountered. The scenery is spectacular, including that of the massive temple complex in Bagan, an ancient city in Myanmar, where the 2000 plus temples and pagodas date back to the 11th and 13th centuries. Few people make the journey to Myanmar, which is unfortunate as I found it to be one of the best experiences of my life. I wouldn't be surprised if one day Bagan becomes overrun with tourists but with the military junta running the show, it may be awhile before that day comes. Now's your chance to go see this amazing country without the crowds.

1 comment:

Where I've Been