Monday, August 24, 2009

Floating Over the Masai Mara

Who looks forward to getting up before dawn while on vacation? You would if you were about to go on a safari in a hot air balloon. Eight of us squeezed into a basket and waited for lift off in the darkness. Before I knew it, we were drifting over herds of animals in Kenya's Masai Mara and watching the sunrise. Though the wind was pushing us, I hardly felt any movement. It was very calm and serene. The sound of the occasional firing of the burners disrupted the silence. The hour journey took us over the Mara River where we could see hippos bathing. The "soft landing" was not as "soft" as I'd have liked as we were dragged a bit before tipping over, but I quickly forgot about it when I saw the champagne and breakfast being set up in the bush. Definitely an "Out of Africa" experience. A seat in the basket will set you back $400 per person, which is not a steal, but if you plan on experiencing this once in your lifetime, this is the place to do it. To reserve: http://www.governorscamp.com/property_activities_masai_mara_hot_air_ballooning.php

1 comment:

Where I've Been